THE BENEFITS OF STUDYING SECONDARY ENGLISH
By studying our Secondary English homeschooling course (English National Curriculum Key Stage 3), your child will develop the skills in speaking, listening, reading and writing that they will need for study at IGCSE and beyond. Your child will learn to express themselves creatively and imaginatively and to communicate with others confidently and effectively.
At the end of Year 9 of Secondary English you will receive a report on your child’s progress. A report on the average grade achieved by your child at the end of Years 7 or 8 is available on request.
THE SYLLABUS AND HOURS OF STUDY
- Our Secondary English Homeschooling course assumes that your child has completed Primary English (Key Stage 2) to a good standard.
- The course follows the English National Curriculum for Key Stage 3 English.
- Allow for up to 4 – 5 hours per week of’ study time for your child to complete each year of Secondary English plus additional time for completing assignments.
- We find that most children can complete the course in 9 months.
KEY TOPICS COVERED
Key topics include:
- Spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Reading and writing skills
- Reading, analysing and responding to literature (Kensuke’s Kingdom and Holes)
- Appreciating Poetry
- Shakespeare’s World including The Tempest