THE BENEFITS OF STUDYING SECONDARY ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE
By studying our Secondary English as a Second Language homeschooling course (Cambridge Lower Secondary English as a Second Language curriculum, your child will develop the skills in speaking, listening, reading and writing English that they will need for studying English as a Second Language at IGCSE. Your child will develop their vocabulary, increase their knowledge of grammar and punctuation and learn how to communicate formally and informally in writing and speaking.
- Our Secondary English as a Second Language Homeschooling course assumes that your child has mastered the basics of English and can communicate simple, basic needs.
- The course follows the Cambridge Lower Secondary English as a Second Language curriculum.
- Allow for up to 4-5 hours per week of study time for your child to complete each year of Secondary English plus additional time for completing assignments.
- We find that most children can complete the course in 9 months.
- We offer Study Skills Sessions for those students who need some extra help managing their studies.
Key topics include:
- English grammar and punctuation targeted towards IGCSE progression.
- Developing vocabulary and language awareness
- Listening and comprehension.
- Guided speaking practise
- Reading Comprehension
- Writing skills for a range of genres
- Reading authentic texts
At the end of the course, subject to attainment, students progress either to IGCSE English First Language or IGCSE English as a Second Language.