THE BENEFITS OF STUDYING SECONDARY COMPUTING
Our Secondary Year 7 & 8 Computing homeschooling courses cover the requirements of the English Key Stage 3 National curriculum. (Year 9 Course is currently in development.)
The courses will allow your child to develop computational and critical thinking and to use them along with creativity to understand the world around them and improve their problem-solving skills.
THE SYLLABUS AND HOURS OF STUDY
- Our Secondary Computing Homeschooling courses assume that your child has completed Primary Level Maths to a good standard.
- We would recommend that the majority of students study Year 7 followed by Year 8 as the skills learnt will allow students to study the following year successfully.
- The course follows the English National Curriculum for Key Stage 3 Computing.
- Allow for up to 3 hours per week of study time for your child to complete each year of Secondary Computing plus additional time for completing assignments.
- We find that most children can complete the course in 9 months.
KEY TOPICS COVERED
Almost all parts of our lives are affected by computer programs. On these courses students can begin to learn the advanced skills needed to make computers work for them. Key areas covered include:
- Computational thinking.
- Writing programs in a range of computing languages.
- Learning how computers execute programs by investigating the role of the CPU (Central Processing Unit).
- Safe and effective Internet searches.
- How to build a basic website.