THE BENEFITS OF STUDYING CAMBRIDGE IGCSE GEOGRAPHY
Despite living in an increasingly manufactured world, we will forever rely on the environment. Whether it is in our ability to grow crops, our capability to stock-pile water or our power to pre-empt natural disasters, the study of our environment and the geography of the planet plays a vital role. By studying the patterns of our planet we may be able to predict potential hazards in the future and therefore help to implement precautions to avoid the effects of climate change.
Our Cambridge IGCSE Geography homeschooling course will help your child to:
- Develop a knowledge and understanding of current events from their local area to a global one
- Investigate the earth and its peoples
- Study the features of the earth – such as mountains, rivers and seas – and how they were formed
- Develop a range of useful skills such as map reading, data collection, ICT and problem solving
- Gain an understanding and appreciation of the cultures and backgrounds of people from all over the world
KEY TOPICS COVERED IN THE COURSE
- Population and settlement including structure, migration, service provision and urbanisation.
- The natural environment including earthquakes and volcanoes, rivers, coasts, weather, climate and vegetation.
- Economic development including different levels, globalisation, food production, industry, tourism, energy, water, environmental risks.
PRIOR REQUIREMENTS/HOURS OF STUDY
- The Cambridge IGCSE course assumes that our young learners will have studied Geography from the English National Curriculum (Years 7 – 9) or an equivalent national educational framework. However, we always welcome enquiries from mature students who may have alternative experiences.
- Your child should allow for up to 150 hours’ study time to complete their Cambridge IGCSE Geography course plus additional time for completing assignments. This is an approximate figure which depends on their learning abilities and the pace at which they work.
THE SYLLABUS AND THE EXAM
The course will prepare your child for the Cambridge (CAIE) IGCSE Geography, syllabus 0460 or 0976.
The exam comprises three written papers:
Paper 1: Geographical Themes: 1 hour and 45 mins (45% of total mark)
Paper 2: Geographical Skills: 1 hour and 30 mins (27.5%)
Paper 4: Alternative to Coursework: 1 hour and 30 mins (27.5%)